Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pallet Art

Hey everyone! Sorry for my lack of posts, but let's be honest,I don't have anything good to say. It has been a crazy past few weeks though. As most of you should know if you are reading this blog, I resigned my job at Williams and accepted a position as a life skills teacher at The Colony High School (about 10 minutes from our house). It's really sad to say goodbye to my coworkers and students at Williams, but we are praying that this ends up being a wise move for our future. Anyways, I've had quite a bit more time than I anticipated, so I've been trying to get some more stuff done. I'm not getting paid in August because of the lag in paychecks from different districts, so I'm trying to find things to do that are cheap or free. Yesterday I made my own pallet art!! I pinned this on Pinterest a while ago and had been wanting to make one for a long time. Thankfully, my sweet friend Anna has recently become an expert at making these. Yesterday we went to Lowes together, bought the supplies, and she helped me build the piece of art and get started on the project. Here is what you will need: -Wood (mine totaled $12 for a large piece of art, cut into 28 inch pieces at Lowes) -Nails (already had) -Paint (already had) -Wood stain (Anna let me use hers) -A small paint brush -A stain pad (or you could use an old t-shirt to put the stain on) -A Picture hanging kit 1. Anna constructed the art for me by nailing to boards to the back to hook all of the pieces together:
2. After we built it, we stained it. This took about 5 minutes. I had stained wood before because Mitchell and I stained our dining room table last year.
3. The next part is a bit time consuming. You have to download a font online, figure out what you want to say on your pallet art (we chose "In Christ Alone, my hope is found" because it's one of our favorite hymns), print out the letters, cut them all out individually, and trace the shapes onto your wood. Talk about hand cramp! Thankfully I had the Olympics to watch while doing this part.
Lastly, use your paint to paint all of the letters! I used leftover paint I had from something else. The paint is actually a light blue/gray, but it looks white here.
Now I just need to install the picture hanging kit and figure out where to put it. I'm thinking about putting it in our bathroom above the tub. It seems like a weird place to put a big decoration, but there's a huge blank wall space there that I think is needing a little somethin' somethin'. I also framed the two mirrors in our master bathroom about a week ago. Now that I know how to do it, it went MUCH smoother! They actually turned out pretty good. I only wish I had done the guest bathroom second. It's still covered in glue/paint that I don't feel like figuring out how to fix.
Today I am going to my new hire orientation for Lewisville ISD!! It's sad that I'm actually excited about this, but I just can't wait to get more information about my job so that I can start setting up my classroom and planning for the year! In Him, Katherine

2 comments: