Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

First of all, I apologize to the one and only Jessica Trigsted for not updating on Monday. ;)

I am very excited that this is Thanksgiving week. It is one of my favorite holidays. Also, the weather is just perfect right now. I actually haven’t spent Thanksgiving with my family in years because it is just not enough time to fly all the way there and back (and expensive when I go there for Christmas a couple weeks later anyways). This year Mitchell’s grandparents, Gavin, Melanie, McKennah and Preston are all coming to Oklahoma City. We are really excited to see everyone. Preston lives in Austin so we haven’t seen him in a while and it is so fun to see McKennah grow as the months go on. Mitchell and I bought her a baby OU t-shirt for Christmas, so hopefully we can make a fan out of her even though her Mom is an avid Texas fan. Boo. We will probably spend the time hanging out, watching football, eating, playing games and drinking coffee. Mitchell’s family has this tradition of playing the game “42”-a game with dominos. Melanie and I have both avoided learning it for many years despite everyone’s best efforts to change our minds every year/holiday. We joke that we are the only family members without musical talents. I am glad to not be the only one in these things! We also like to joke about performing a musical duet someday (not!).

Next week at my Teach For America interview I have to teach a lesson to the recruiters and other interviewees of the day. I have been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to teach my lesson on “Butterfly Metamorphosis” for Kindergarteners. We could choose anything K-12. My sister went through this and said that there were some people that did AP economics lessons and some who did lessons on shapes. “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” was one of my favorite children’s books growing up and so I am going to use the book as part of the lesson.

I took the GRE on Saturday. It went okay. I didn’t have very high expectations because I didn’t study nearly as much as I should have. I realized that I should have practiced more with timing myself because my biggest problem was running out of time on the sections. It is probably okay enough to get into some Speech Pathology school so I haven’t decided yet whether or not I am going to retake it. I definitely think I could do better if I tried again...so we will see.

We decorated for Christmas this past weekend. I will post pictures soon! :) We had a lot of fun putting our little tree up and putting lights out on our porch etc. We figure that since we will be gone for a week, we should have an extra week to enjoy them (or at least that is what we told ourselves). My Mom has been giving me ornaments every year since I was 13 so that I would have a whole tree's worth when I had my own family (she has been doing this for my siblings also). She is supposed to send us them soon which we are excited about (even though they won't fit on our tree). We have a few ornaments already-like a little Starbucks cup ornament Mitchell got and some OU ornaments his parents gave us last year.

As Thanksgiving approaches, we have been thinking and talking a lot about how much we have to be thankful for. God has blessed us far beyond what we deserve and we have a lot to be thankful for-something we should remember to be mindful of regardless of the season.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday with their friends and family. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment