Julie's Mom printed this quote out and gave it to us. I thought it was so good and worth posting.
"We think we have chosen our peers. In reality, a few years' difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles in between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another, posting to different regiments, the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting-any of these chances might have kept us apart.
But for a Christian, there are strictly speaking, no chances. A secret Master of Ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, 'Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another."
The friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauties of all the others."
--C.S. Lewis
When I read this quote, it rings very true in my ears. What if Megan and I happened to have been placed on a different hall in the dorms? What if we happened to have made a different decision on which sorority to join? If this were the case, would I have never met Sara? What if MR and I had decided not to randomly meet for lunch that day? What if I hadn't been randomly assigned to rush Julie on the day that I was complaining with Megan about having to do rush at all? Oh, how different life would be. However, as C.S. Lewis points out, as a Christian there are no "what ifs." I am so very thankful that God orchestrates everything according to His perfect plan! I know that I couldn't have made better friends if I had hand picked them myself.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Definitely a great quote, friend :)
ReplyDeleteLove it. :-)
ReplyDelete